The Last of the Summer Bounty – Zucchini Cakes
Fall is officially here and if you have a garden it’s likely you a stack of veggies that need to be used soon. Here is a great recipe for cooking up any leftover zucchini you may have on an EcoZoom rocket stove.
Combing through the garden uncovered a few very large zucchinis that had been hiding among the foliage. They weren’t so big that we couldn’t use them, but they were pushing it. By this point in the year we have probably all eaten a bunch of zucchini in a number of ways. Looking at the zucchini I wasn’t sure I could eat more but figured there was a good use for them. The obvious is zucchini bread, but I wanted to step outside the lines of routine and try something new that a friend of mine showed me and cook it up on an EcoZoom rocket stove.
Zucchini cakes are a great recipe because you can tweak it however you like based on your taste. The base of the recipe is shredded zucchini with egg and a touch of flower to hold the shavings together. Beyond that, you can add whatever you like. I have added rice to provide a bit more substance to the cakes, tried adding different types of cheese, or even potato to make it more of a breakfast dish. Whatever your taste in food is, just go with it. In the end, zucchini doesn’t provide a ton a flavor by itself so go ahead and dress is up any way you want. Then of course, put your EcoZoom rocket stove to good use and cook it up outside!
Below is the way that I found that I like cooking zucchini cakes the best, which has more of an Italian flare than anything:
- 2-3 zucchini shredded on a cheese grater. Use larger shred size.
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup flour
- Fresh basil
- 1 clove of crushed garlic
- ½ cup of mozzarella cheese
- 1-2 tomatoes, chopped.
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Start by shredding all the zucchini into a bowl
- Finely chop the basil and add to the bowl
- Add the clove of crushed garlic
- Break eggs and add to blow along with flour
- Mix all ingredients until everything in the bowl is covered in eggs
- Place a 3 teaspoons of oil in cast iron skillet and heat to a high temperature
- Once skillet is hot, spoon balls of zucchini cake mixture into separate cakes within skillet
- Turn once the side down is browned or lightly fried depending on amount of oil
- Add mozzarella to top of cooked side, while second side is cooking
- Remove cake once it is cooked completely on each side and add freshly chopped tomato to top of zucchini cake
As mentioned, this is just one of many possibilities for this base recipe. Give different combinations of veggies or even meat within the zucchini cakes. I imagine adding bacon and potato would make for a nice little side dish for breakfast or brunch. Bringing pre-prepped ingredients would also make this a great camping dish if you are using your EcoZoom rocket stove in the great outdoors.
We’d love to hear from you if you try this recipe and how you make it your own. Happy cooking on your EcoZoom rocket stove.
About the Author:
Tom Pritchard is an EcoZoom employee and likes to cook outdoors with his EcoZoom rocket stove on camping trips or sunny days. You can email him directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
← Older Post Newer Post →